Heart attack victim left waiting days in Geraldton after three failed transfer attempts for urgent tests

Heart attack victim left waiting days in Geraldton after three failed transfer attempts for urgent tests
Written by admin
Heart attack victim left waiting days in Geraldton after three failed transfer attempts for urgent tests

Heart attack victim left waiting days in Geraldton after three failed transfer attempts for urgent tests

“It’s now Monday, and I’m still in Geraldton with chest pains and no word on when I will be transferred to Perth.


“This is a bloody disgrace and something needs to be done before someone else dies.”

Last month, St John Ambulance WA chief executive Michelle Fyfe announced an independent clinical incident review into the death of a Geraldton woman who waited 32 minutes for an ambulance.

On the same day the Geraldton woman died, a woman in Busselton was triaged but not officially admitted to hospital and left in the care of paramedics for more than three hours before she died.

Dr Peter Allely, a Perth-based emergency physician and the WA faculty chair of the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine, said doctors would want heart attack patients to have angiograms within a day, and the case highlighted a health system under extreme pressure.

An angiogram takes X-ray pictures of the coronary arteries and the vessels that supply blood to the heart to assess whether there are blockages and if an urgent bypass or a stent is needed.

“The system has had basically zero surge capacity for many years and these are the manifestations of that,” Allely said.

“Generally if a patient has a heart attack in a regional area, within 12 to 24 hours we’d like them to be seen at a hospital where they can have an angiogram to gauge the severity.”

On Monday, St John WA Head of Country Justin Fonte said the ambulance provider had deployed a community paramedic to Geraldton to provide additional cover and called in an extra crew to meet demand on the day.

READ Also  Minority developers convene to discuss construction equality

“The delays in this instance are unfortunate,” he said.

“St John has two emergency ambulances in Geraldton delivering around-the-clock coverage to community and is experiencing unprecedented pressure on services including in the regions.”

Fonte said St John provided an inter-hospital patient transfer service in Geraldton but it was only operational on weekdays, and ambulances were equipped to transport one high-dependency patient at a time.

The incident raises further questions about the resourcing of regional health services and the standard of medical care available to West Australians living in country towns.

Fonte said St John had advocated for additional funding for ambulance paramedics in Geraldton.


Health Minister Amber Jade Sanderson was contacted for comment but diverted media enquiries to the WA Country Health Service.

Mid West regional director Rachele Ferrari said Quilty received immediate care when she attended hospital.

“Since that time, we have been doing everything we can to get her transferred to the metropolitan area – including escalating the situation to the Royal Flying Doctor Service and St John WA,” she said.

“While they will need to respond to questions around the delay, I’d like to commend staff at Geraldton Health Campus who worked hard to stabilise this patient and have consistently provided a high level of care while awaiting transport.”

The case came on a busy weekend for the RFDS, with a spokeswoman saying the service transported 54 patients.

Plans were made to retrieve Quilty over the weekend, however two flights were diverted to high-priority patients who required urgent care.

“This patient was assessed as not requiring an urgent RFDS retrieval, as they were stable and under the care of the clinical team at Geraldton Health Campus,” Ferrari said.

READ Also  It's OK to enjoy the Mets' hot start to the season

Fyfe said WA’s health system was under pressure, with ambulance ramping now occurring in regional areas where it had not ever before.

She said resources were finite and Geraldton had experienced a 20 per cent increase in demand over the past five years, with March the busiest month on record for the town.


Ramping hits new extremes in Perth

Meanwhile, St John Ambulance issued a public alert for the first time ever on Monday evening warning of a delay in attending triple-zero calls because of “extremely high demand”.

A statement from the ambulance provider said about one-quarter of its fleet was ramped and its State Operations Centre was continuing to receive more than 40 calls an hour.

“It is likely there will be a delay in an ambulance reaching people who call 000,” the statement read.

“Our priority is to provide care to Western Australians who require life-saving assistance.”

Members of the community who required non-urgent health assistance were urged to call Healthdirect, local GPs or the 13COVID hotline if they had COVID-19.

The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.

#Heart #attack #victim #left #waiting #days #Geraldton #failed #transfer #attempts #urgent #tests

About the author


Leave a Comment