Are you thinking what exactly is Sina Weibo? Are you aware that Chinese Social Media a jungle of details for you?
You’re in the right place! In this week’s blog post by Tenba Group, we take an in-depth look into Sina Weibo, the second-largest social network that is based in China. But watch out, Douyin respectively TikTok, the Chinese apps for short videos are catching up quickly!
Know Your Chinese Social Media
For starters the amount of users on social networking platforms is increasing worldwide with no sign of any end to be seen. The amount of social network users is expected to reach 3 billion by 2021..
with more than 2 billion active monthly user, Facebook is undoubtedly the most used social media in the world. However the most popular Chinese social network WeChat boasts greater than 1 billion active monthly users. This means that nearly every Chinese uses this app as well as social media as a whole.
To help boost the local economy and provide content that is politically accurate for the citizens of China, China set up the Great Firewall of China and internet censorship. In the end, the most popular social media platforms of the Western world such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube are not accessible in China since the year 2008. Therefore, in the present, Chinese social media and online shopping platforms are flourishing in China and across the globe.
Social Media in China
The five most well-known Chinese social media platforms are:
- WeChat (since 2011.) is The Facebook of China & the application for everything
- Sina Weibo (since 2009) – the Chinese Twitter
- Douyin resp. TikTok (since the year 2016) (since 2016) Chinese short video application
- Mafengwo (since 2010) – the Chinese TripAdvisor
- Xiaohongshu (also known as Red (since 2013) is the Chinese all-round social media platform and E-commerce platform
What is Sina Weibo?
For starters, “Weibo” (Wei Bo ) refers to “micro-blog” in Chinese. It was launched in 2009 by Sina Corporation in 2009, Sina Weibo, or simply Weibo is an online microblogging site and application that is comparable with Twitter or Instagram. With over 300 million active monthly users, it’s the largest social media platform in China following Tencent’s WeChat.
Comparatively with WeChat, Sina Weibo is most commonly used by an older population. It has more detailed and popular content. Additionally, Weibo allows businesses to create authentic and verified accounts to connect with their followers as well as promote their services and products.
What’s on Sina Weibo?
Weibo users appreciate these key characteristics:
- 140 characters limit per post
- Posting images
- Instant messaging
- People who follow you and official accounts
- Weibo stories
- Make use of (location-based) hashtags
- “Trending Topics”
In 2013, Alibaba Group, the largest online marketplace globally, bought an 18 percent share in Sina Weibo. This acquisition is expected to boost users into Alibaba’s Taobao Marketplace, the largest online shopping site in China that is geared towards consumers.
Today, along with touTiao, Sina Weibo is one of China’s leading sources of news and information. Weibo can also be regarded as a massive economic success exceeding the 30-billion dollar market value on the market.
How to Profit of Sina Weibo
Your business could benefit from getting your message out to a large audience through Sina Weibo. The five most effective ways to build brand recognition and boost visibility through Weibo are:
- Weibo Campaigns with InfluencersWorking together with Chinese Influencers Wanghongs, and Key Opinion Leaders (KOL marketing), allows you to reach younger audiences in China.
- Weibo Paid Ads: They function similarly to WeChat ads . To increase the number of followers, there are three types of ads that are available to users on Weibo Pay-per-click Ads:
- Fensi Tong (Fen Si Tong ): this allows more precise options for targeting, such as gender, interests, location and even devices.
- Sponsored Posts: Promotes content to the current and potential followers.
- Weibo TasksGrow your following through the payment of other accounts that share your content
- Weibo Lottery: Join your community by offering them prizes.
- Cross-Promotion Sina Weibo is a fantastic platform for commerce to use for B2C promotion. It also works in B2B promotion.
- Organic growth:Posts which have higher engagement be seen by greater Weibo users. Therefore, it is crucial to continually enhance the quality of content.
Whatever way you choose, you’ll be required to establish an account before you can start. Let’s look at the process.
Individual and Business Accounts
Based on the status of your account verification You Weibo users are able to alter the appearance of their Sina Weibo profile appearance and have various privileges. Based on their plan the business can take advantage of particular promotions such as promotions coupons, special offers and private messages, as well as data analysis, as well as social listening.
- Individuals: Private and personal accounts
- Personal users – NO CHARGE
- KOLs – FREE
- GRASS Root Media – Free
- The Grassroot Media Partners Free
- Superstar KOLs – FREE
- Business Accounts for business are ideal for nonprofits, companies and public institutions. It is important to note that there are different costs for Chinese companies as well as foreign-owned companies.
- BasicBasic HTML0 – 300 RMB (~40 USD) resp. 1,000 USD
- Medium– 5 000 RMB (~700 USD) Additional VIP telephone customer service
- Advanced9.800 RMB (1,400 USD) Additional annual membership
You now know the meaning of Sina Weibo and you got an understanding of Chinese Social Media.
Find out the basics of doing business China in the context of Chinese business Please read our blog post onChinese business culture. If you’re unsure where to begin when it comes to doing your business China or with digitalization, Tenba Group is the digital marketing agency can be trusted!
See ALso –
Our Services For Your Business
We’re here for you, and we can help you start your business in the Middle Kingdom!
- In the beginning, Tenba Group can set up the Sina Weibo business account for you.
- Then, we manage Sina Weibo advertising, influencer campaigns, lotteries, and cross-promotions on behalf of you.
- Furthermore, Tenba Group is also ready to help you modify your existing website or develop a Chinese web page for you. This includes hosting your site within Hong Kong or mainland China.
- In addition, we are pleased to offer new Chinese content or even convert existing material to Chinese to help you.
- In the end, if you’re unfamiliar with China, or are new to the Chinese market, then you could benefit from our knowledge. We have a wealth of Chinese marketing strategies for Western businesses and are eager to help you create strategies to take on China. Chinese market.
Get in touch with Tenba Group today to design your personal China market strategy for entry!